Shumilin E., Mirlean N., and Choumiline K., and Ostrooumov M., 2015. Increasing arsenic mobility in the fine fraction of the dry stream sediments of the semi-arid San Antonio gold mining district (Baja California peninsula, Mexico). Environmental Earth Sciences, 73: 4689-4700. [PDF]
Shumilin E., Rodríguez-Figueroa G., Sapozhnikov D., Sapozhnikov Yu. and Choumiline K., 2012. Anthropogenic and authigenic uranium in marine sediments of the central Gulf of California adjacent to the Santa Rosalía mining region. Archives of Environmental Contamination and Toxicology, 63: 309-322. [PDF]
Choumiline K., Aguirre-Bahena F., Shumilin E., Silverberg N. and Sapozhnikov D., 2011. Composition of Settling Particulate Matter and Element Fluxes into Alfonso Basin, La Paz Bay, Gulf of California: 2002-2008 Sediment Trap Time Series. 11th International Conference on the Biogeochemistry of Trace Elements Proceedings, Reviewed Extended Abstract.
Shumilin E., Gordeev V., Rodríguez-Figueroa G., Demina L. and Choumiline K., 2011. Assessment of geochemical mobility of metals in surface sediments of the Santa Rosalia mining region, western Gulf of California. Archives of Environmental Contamination and Toxicology, 60: 8-25. [PDF]
Choumiline K., Rodríguez-Castañeda A.P., Silverberg N., Shumilin E., Aguirre-Bahena F., Sapozhnikov D. and Pérez-Cruz L., 2010. Arsenic and uranium in the settling particulate matter and sediments of Alfonso Basin, La Paz Bay. Proceedings of the 13th International Conference on Water-Rock Interaction. Reviewed Extended Abstract. [PDF]
Choumiline K., Herguera J.C., Shumilin E. and Sapozhnikov D., 2009. Authigenic uranium in the sediments in the La Paz Bay and La Paz Basin, southwestern Gulf of California. 10th International Conference on the Biogeochemistry of Trace Elements Proceedings, Reviewed Extended Abstract.
Choumiline K., Godínez-Orta L., Nikolayeva N., Derkachev A. and Shumilin E., 2009. Evaluation of contribution sources for terrigenous and marine sediments of the La Paz Lagoon, based on the mineralogy of their heavy fraction, surrounding lithologies and drainage basins. Boletín de la Sociedad Geológica Mexicana, 61: 97-109. [PDF]
Publications (In prep)
Choumiline K., Pérez-Cruz L., Bates S. and Lyons T.W. (in prep). Scenarios of deoxygenation of the Eastern Tropical North Pacific during the past millennium as a window into the future of Oxygen Minimum Zones. In prep for Frontiers in Earth Science.
Choumiline K., Carriquiry J.D ., Perez-Cruz L., Raiswell R., Beaufort L., Bates S. and Lyons T.W. (in prep). Enhanced anoxia in the Eastern Tropical North Pacific Oxygen Minimum Zone during the Marine Isotope Stage 3.
Choumiline K., Perez-Cruz L., Carriquiry J.D ., Raiswell R., Beaufort L., Bates S. and Lyons T.W. (in prep). Deoxygenation of the Gulf of California during the Last Deglaciation recorded in marine settings with dissimilar level of connectivity to the Eastern Tropical North Pacific Oxygen Minimum Zone: Alfonso Basin and Pescadero slope.
Perez-Cruz L., Urrutia-Fucugauchi J., Choumiline K., Gómez-Lizárraga L., Lyons T., Roy P.D., Rodríguez-Ramírez A. and Velasco V. (in prep). Holocene climate variability of the southern Gulf of California and the adjacent Pacific Ocean: A multi-proxy approach from La Paz Basin. In prep for Palaeogeography, Palaeoclimatology, Palaeoecology.
Conferences and workshops:
24 as presenter (18 oral, 6 posters), 9 as co-author, 2 “Best Student Presentation” awards
- Session convener at “Session 07b: De-Oxygenation and Organic Carbon Burial in Earth’s History” at Goldschmidt 2018 conference [Link]
- Session convener at “Special Session PP021: Global Change During and After the K-Pg and P-E Transitions” at AGU Fall Meeting 2017 conference [Link]
- Oceanic Variability and Climate Change Workshop in Mexico City, Mexico (2017) [Press]
- Urbino Summer School in Paleoclimatology in Urbino, Italy (2016) [Press]
- Session chair at “Session 19e: General Session Low Temperature” and “Session 19f: General Session Biogeochemistry” at Goldschmidt 2016 conference
- IODP Guaymas Basin Workshop: “Exploring deep subsurface life, sedimentation and tectonics in a young ocean: Workshop to synthesize site survey cruise data and develop new strategies for a scientific ocean drilling proposal in the Guaymas Basin” (2015) [Event Report] [Expedition Website]
- GEOTRACES Latin America Workshop (2012) [Event Report]
- Session chair at “Water-rock interactions in karst and pore water chemistry in sedimentary rocks” during the 13th Water-Rock Interaction International Symposium (2010)
Urbino Summer School in Paleoclimatology 2016 at the beautiful gem of a city of Urbino
- Strengthening of the Eastern Tropical North Pacific Oxygen Minimum Zone during Marine Isotope Stage 3 despite the intensification of Dansgaard-Oeschger and Heinrich events (American Geophysical Union Fall Meeting 2017, New Orleans, Louisiana; December 2017) [Abstract]
- Coauthor: Paleoenvironment and Paleoclimatic Study of the Paleogene from IODP-ICDP Expedition 364 Site M0077, Chicxulub Crater (American Geophysical Union Fall Meeting 2017, New Orleans, Louisiana; December 2017) [Abstract]
- Sensitivity of redox proxies to rapid variability in Oxygen Minimum Zones (Goldschmidt 2017, Paris, France; August 2017) [Abstract]
- Coauthor: Paleocene-Eocene climatic events in the IODP-ICDP Expedition 364, Chicxulub Impact Crater: Geochemical Preliminary Results (48th Lunar and Planetary Science Conference, The Woodlands, Texas; March 2017) [Abstract]
- Drivers of redox changes in diverse basins of the Gulf of California: Alfonso, La Paz, and Pescadero (Goldschmidt 2016, Yokohama, Japan; June-July 2016) [Abstract]
- Historical trends in hypoxia of the southeastern Gulf of California: 18,000 year record (3rd International Symposium on the Effects of Climate Change on the World’s Oceans, Santos, Brazil; March 2015) [Slides]
- Reconstructing hypoxia of the southeastern Gulf of California over the last 18,000 years: sediments of Pescadero Basin (American Geophysical Union Fall Meeting 2014, San Francisco, California; December 2014) [Abstract]
- Coauthor: Uranium isotope ratios as a tool to identify the sources of polluted sediments from Santa Rosalia copper mining region, Mexico (Goldschmidt 2014, Sacramento, California; June 2014) [Abstract]
- Lanthanide behavior in hypersaline evaporation ponds at Guerrero Negro, Baja California, Mexico – an environment with halophiles (American Geophysical Union Fall Meeting 2013, San Francisco, California; December 2013). [Abstract] [Slides]
- Downstream increase of arsenic mobility in the arroyo sediments of a desertic arid sedimentary basin affected by remnants of gold mining near San Antonio, southern Baja California (Biennial Conference of the CERF, San Diego, California; November 2013) [Slides]
- Shale-normalized lanthanide signatures of the settling particulate matter and recent sediments of Alfonso Basin, La Paz Bay, Gulf of California (GEOTRACES Latin American Workshop, Rio de Janeiro, Brazil; November 2012)
- Composition of Settling Particulate Matter and Element Fluxes into Alfonso Basin, La Paz Bay, Gulf of California: 2002-2008 Sediment Trap Time Series (11th International Conference on the Biogeochemistry of Trace Elements, Florence, Italy; July 2011)
- Role of extraordinary events on the composition of settling particles in Alfonso Basin, La Paz Bay, Gulf of California: 2002-2008 sediment trap time series (11th International Estuarine Biogeochemistry Symposium, Atlantic Beach, North Carolina, USA; May 2011)
- Arsenic and uranium in the settling particulate matter and sediments of Alfonso Basin, La Paz Bay (13th Water-Rock Interaction International Symposium, Guanajuato, Mexico; August 2010) [Slides]
Research Stays and Training Courses
- Research stay at Cardiff University (Cardiff, United Kingdom), to prepare and run samples for U isotope analysis on a Nu Plasma 2 MC-ICP-MS under the supervision of Dr. Morten Andersen (July-August 2018)
- Research stay at the School of Earth and Space Exploration, Arizona State University (Tempe, Arizona), to prepare and run samples for U isotope analysis on a Thermo Neptune MC-ICP-MS under the supervision of Dr. Stephen Romaniello in the group led by Prof. Ariel Anbar (March 2018) [Lab Website]
- Research stay as visiting student at the Universidad Nacional Autónoma de México (Mexico City, Mexico), to subsample a set of sediment cores from the core repository led by Dr. Ligia Perez Cruz and Dr. Jaime Urrutia Fucugauchi (May 2014) [Lab Website]
- Research stay as visiting student at the Institute for Chemistry and Biology of the Marine Environment, University of Oldenburg (Oldenburg, Germany), to get acquainted with several analytical techniques at the Microbiogeochemistry Group led by Prof. Dr. Hans-Jürgen Brumsack (April 2011) [Lab Website]